MANILA, Nov. 16, 2011— Some Catholic bishops called on the government to respect the temporary restraining order (TRO) allowing former President Gloria Arroyo to seek medical treatment abroad.
Cagayan de Oro Archbishop Antonio Ledesma said that what the government should do is just act on the TRO issued by the Supreme Court but ensure the return of Arroyo.
“We have to follow the due process in the country. If that is the decision of the Supreme Court, then we have to bow to that also,” said Ledesma.
Retired Archbishop Oscar Cruz reiterated that the government should allow Arroyo to travel abroad to prevent chaos should something bad happen to her.
“Since then I have already felt that the watchlist would be set aside by the Supreme Court,” said Cruz, a known critic of Arroyo. “I think it is fair to let her now have her cure and let her go.”
The bishops were reacting to the government’s move to block Arroyo and her husband former first gentleman Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo from leaving the country despite the TRO.
The Arroyo couple was scheduled to fly to Singapore last night when the Justice department through the Immigration Bureau blocked their flight abroad at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). [CBCPNews]