MANILA, Jan. 26, 2011â€” Catholic bishops have strongly condemned yesterdayâ€™s bomb attack on a packed bus that claimed at least five lives in Makati City.
Metro Manila prelates joined with the government and others mourning the loss of their loved ones by holding Masses offered for victims and to those who were injured.
Retired Novaliches Bishop Teodoro Bacani said the church â€œfirmly denounceâ€ the serious act of violence and said resorting to it never solve anything.
â€œWe hope you will realize that killing people will do nothing good. Violence does not solve any problem,â€ Bacani said.
Caloocan Bishop Deogracias IÃ±iguez called on the government for a quick resolution of the incident which also injured 13 others so as to appease the worried public.
â€œLet us all do (everything) we can as soon as possible to investigate the root of this,â€ said IÃ±iguez.
He also urged the authorities to take a cue from the incident the need for more vigilance and by being more proactive in preventing crimes rather than just being â€œreactive.â€
â€œLet the enforcers of law and order wake up. We cannot just ignore this alarming incident,â€ said IÃ±iguez.
Last Tuesday, four people got killed while 14 others got wounded from an explosion inside a passenger bus traversing EDSA near Buendia Avenue, Makati City.
The death toll, however, rose to five Wednesday after another victim succumbed to severe blast injuries at a hospital.
Initial investigation showed the explosive device used in the bomb attack was an 81-milimeter mortar and a cell phone as a detonator.
The countryâ€™s 136,000-strong police force had already been placed under â€œfull alertâ€, following President Benigno Aquinoâ€™s warning that the country faced a raised terror threat. (CBCPNews)